Thursday, January 20, 2011

compelled.

Sometimes placing one foot in front of the other day in and day out is the most fearless way to live. We do not achieve lives of greatness by seeking out adventure, by catapulting ourselves headlong into risk, cost uncounted. There is nothing wrong with risk. It is, in fact, required of us if we would live for the cause of Christ. There is nothing bad about adventure. On the contrary, if we live as we were designed to we will find ourselves immersed in an adventure of epic proportions. But we do not live for these things. Nor do we live for greatness, accomplishment or personal fulfillment. We live for Christ and in Christ and through Christ and because of Christ.

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all and therefore all died. And he died for all that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised again. (2 cor. 5:14-15)


I do not lie awake at night dreaming dreams for myself. I lie awake because my heart is heavy with the burden of mourning and the weight of joy. Because I see around me death yet I feel within me life and daily I desire more to find a way to bridge this disconnect.

So, one foot in front of the other. Slow and steady, pressing forward. One brick upon another to build a life of character and integrity. Piece by piece stripping away the trappings of success and expectation to learn the heart of servanthood, the humility of surrender. It is here in seeking God's face, in straining our ear to hear his voice, in inclining our lives toward Him that we find all our desires fulfilled in the most unlikely way.

For I have counted the cost and have determined that though the cost be greater than I can pay, it is worth more than I can give. I would rather "waste" the sum of my days on the name of Jesus than indulge them on the pleasures of this life.

I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation. We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance, in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger, in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything. (2 cor. 6:2b-10)

No comments: